The first service of Calvary Baptist Church was held in a business building located at 805 Maine Street on October 3, 1943
. At that time, it was known as “The Gospel Center.” The service was conducted by Rev. John D. Jess, founder of the work, assisted by Mr. Douglas Mains, who served as pianist and music director.
In November of 1944, Rev. Warren Allem of Albuquerque, New Mexico was called to become the first pastor, after the work had been moved to its new location at 1115 Maine Street. Sunday School was started at this time, with 46 present.
On December 31, 1945, The Gospel Center was organized as Calvary Baptist Church, at which time Rev. Raymond Hamilton was officially called as pastor. At that time, there were 38 charter members received.
In May of 1947, application was made for fellowship in the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches and the church was accepted into the fellowship at the Association meeting in Waterloo, Iowa.
On January 25, 1948, Rev. Howard Miller of Peoria, Illinois accepted the unanimous call to become the third pastor of the church. On May 16, 1948, the congregation voted unanimously to proceed in purchasing a building site at 19th and State Street.